Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Just a Few Thoughts that Flowed Freely

Is that you, Spring?

Is that you, Spring?
The morning dove is cooing at the sun that wakes me early.
Silent soil’s moving at the plumping of the seeds.
My skin is warm at rising without blankets or arms wrapped right
Earthy tang wafting over porch, over me

Have you come to call on the buds, the blades, the nest builders?
I’ve been awash in expectation since I tucked the flora into bed
While I donned a coat and suffered still from shivers
Watching rain, then sleet, then snow cover my stepping stones
Soothed myself with the wisdom of your patience to see ahead

While the coolness tempered the ground
And the rest built strength in roots
Snow obscured nature’s fermentation
The earth is not lonely, but I am
I delight this morning to hear the soft announcement of the dove

And there she is calling to me
To dig, to nurture the roots, to feel the staleness leave on a breeze
Cobwebs wiped down and spirits hoisted up
The tiniest seed in my hand, some I cannot even see for the size
I say good morning to the rain, the dirt, the birth of a fresh start.

Written by Yours Truly

3 comments:

Erin said...

Love.

Christine said...

I heard a morning dove and wrote that in about 15 minutes.

Anonymous said...

I bet you'd enjoy the blog www.coldclimategardening.com